HELP!! Problems Installing Ultrix on a DECstation 3100

rusty at garnet.berkeley.edu rusty at garnet.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 15 11:42:29 AEST 1989

In article <704 at stsci.edu> evans at stsci.EDU (Ian Evans) writes:

   From: evans at stsci.EDU (Ian Evans)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix,comp.sys.dec
   Subject: HELP!!  Problems Installing Ultrix on a DECstation 3100
   Date: 9 Aug 89 14:51:28 GMT

   Anyway, after completing this (and not having the V3.1 installation
   guide) we rebuilt the kernel and rebooted.  This time the system
   came up and said "System Supports 8 Users", and then promptly died
   while starting the daemons saying "Login Limit Reached".  When it
   finally came up all the way (without the daemons) we had a system
   with a login limit of 0.  Root could log in on the console only,
   but that was all.  We then tried reinstalling the 8 user license
   upgrade (and it said it installed successfully), but ended up with
   exactly the same situation.

One of the things that is really stupid in Ultrix is that the N user
license stuff is tied to the quota system.  Therefore, you must have
the line

options         QUOTA

in your kernel configuration file.  If you don't then you'll always
get the "Login limit reached" message if anybody other than root tries
to login.  Look at the source to login and find where the string
"Login limit reached" message is being printed and you'll see what's
wrong.