Getting inside the quotes in sendmail...

Leonard J. Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Tue Dec 5 01:07:54 AEST 1989

In article <71 at ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU> rainwatr at ucunix.san.uc.edu (Don Rainwater) writes:
>	For OA mail that is bound for the Internet, I would like to
>change the 'From:' address to something that looks like Internet.  (ie.
>I want to change 'node::mrgate::"a1::user"' to 'user at node.oa.uc.edu')
>This seems to be a problem, since '"a1::user"' is treated as a single
>token and there appears to be no way to get inside the quotes.

You're correct, there is no way to get inside the double qoutes in sendmail
short of having the source and fixing it yourself.  That's not out of the
question since 5.61 and IDA are both available but there is another alter-
native (see below).

>	Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this
>problem?  What I would really like is info on how to get inside the
>quotes, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.  Thanks in advance
>for any help.

The problem exists in sendmail.  When a user on a VMS machine sends mail
through a DECnet/Internet gateway and uses an address such as

	To: GATEWAY::"address-spec"

sendmail doesn't strip off the double quotes.  I had the same problem
a while back and a kind person from DEC sent me a patched version that
takes care of it.  I'm willing to send out uuencoded versions to people
who want it; if there is sufficient interest, I'll make it available for
anonymous FTP.

BTW, this was *supposed* to be fixed in 3.1 but apparently isn't so don't
think that it will go away if you upgrade.
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469

This is STILL the Al Franken Decade.....