Getting inside the quotes in sendmail...

Don Rainwater rainwatr at ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU
Sat Dec 2 04:10:48 AEST 1989

Hello,
	I have a VAX running Ultrix 3.0 which is setup to be a "mail
gateway" between the Internet and an internal network of Office
Automation VAXen running VMS and All-in-1.  To make it easy to get mail
from an Internet site to a user on the OA net, I have a pseudo-domain
defined so that an address can look like 'user at node.oa.uc.edu'.  In
sendmail, this type of address is intercepted and translated to
'node::mrgate::"a1::user"' and goes out over DECnet to the right
machine.

	For OA mail that is bound for the Internet, I would like to
change the 'From:' address to something that looks like Internet.  (ie.
I want to change 'node::mrgate::"a1::user"' to 'user at node.oa.uc.edu')
This seems to be a problem, since '"a1::user"' is treated as a single
token and there appears to be no way to get inside the quotes.

	Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this
problem?  What I would really like is info on how to get inside the
quotes, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.  Thanks in advance
for any help.

--
Don Rainwater, Univ. of Cincinnati Computer Center
rainwatr at ucunix.san.uc.edu
rainwatr at ucbeh.san.uc.edu
rainwatr at ucbeh.bitnet