VaxStation II console port

Jeff Janock jeff at imokay.dec.com
Tue Dec 12 03:25:19 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov22.133112.2078 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:
>On the back of VaxStation II's, there is what appears to be a console port.
>Can anyone tell me what the major and minor device #'s would be to access
>this port  (for Ultrix)??

Hi,

the port you refer to is the "console port" when not being used as a
workstation.  So, when up as a workstation, then /dev/console is assigned
to the session manager window (if you use it) or dumps elsewhere
major/minor 0/0 -

I use this port for some stuff (modem work etc)...

to use this port when running as a workstation, here is an ls -l

crw-rw-rw-  1 root      38,   0 Dec 11 11:12 /dev/ttycp

You can do (as root):
# cd /dev
# MAKEDEV ttycp

and the correct device will be made...

please note you need to set the baud rate with the dial selector
in the rear of the unit - 2400bps works fine -

You also need a 9pin to 25pin cable to utilize 'normal' rs232 devices...

another gotcha, is that this port is character interrupt driven - steady
stream of data either way keeps my GPX at loads over 2 (at 2400baud)!!!

have fun...	-jj

--
Jeff Janock @ Digital  <jeff at imokay.enet.dec.com> +1 508 486 6102