Zmodem upload problems

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Sat Dec 23 01:22:12 AEST 1989

In article <42713 at improper.coherent.com> dplatt at coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:
>In article <1989Dec21.200309.17636 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:
>>> without any trouble, but uploads don't even get past the first byte.
>> Yep, we have the same problem with our ultrix and our sun hosts using
>> rzsz, again for uploads only.
>
>The ZMODEM protocols requires that the sender->receiver channel be able
>to transmit 8-bit-wide data;  the receiver->sender backchannel only
>needs to be 7 bits wide.
>
>If you can't arrange for an 8-bit clear input channel, you won't be able
>to use ZMODEM to upload, and will need to fall back and punt... use
>MacKermit (or the equivalent).

I'm no communications guru, but there are plenty of other options.
I also cannot upload with Zmodem (although downloads are OK), but there
is no problem with Ymodem (including batch) and Xmodem uploads.  The
difference between Ymodem and Zmodem is not that great.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2