DECnet Mail

Paul Marsh marsh at umt.UUCP
Fri Dec 1 11:57:30 AEST 1989

I am trying to get incomming mail to work on a VAX 785 running ULTRIX V3.1.
Outgoing mail to VMS and other ULTRIX hosts works fine, but I can't get
anything to come in.  Any clues would be helpful.

In sending mail to this host from VMS, I get the following error messages.

	%MAIL-E-LOGLINK, error creating network link to node umt
	-SYSTEM-F-CONNECFAIL, connect to network object time-out or failed

Sending mail from the Ultrix workstation, yields no immediate error, nor
will it send the mail to the Ultrix V3.1 host.  After 3 days the mail is
returned with an error saying it couldn't be delivered.   Reason:

	mail11: connect to umt failed, Argument too large

Attempting to send mail from an Ultrix workstation running Ultrix V2.2,
/usr/spool/mmqueue/syslog   contians the following.

Nov 30 14:21:20 localhost: 1143 sendmail: AA01143: message-id=
   <8911302121.AA01143 at umt99.local>
Nov 30 14:21:20 localhost: 1143 sendmail: AA01143: from=root, size=33, class=0
Nov 30 14:21:23 localhost: 1146 sendmail: AA01143: to=umt::root,
   delay=00:00:04, stat=Deferred

The mailq command verifies that the mail wasn't sent.

# /usr/ucb/mailq
		Mail Queue (1 request)
--QID-- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient------------
AA01143        6 Thu Nov 29 14:21 root
				  (Deferred)
				  umt::root

Lastly, running sendmail manually, the same results as seen before.

# /usr/lib/sendmail -qv
mail11: connect to umt failed, Argument too large

Does anyone know the meaning of this error?
--
UUCP :	... ! {apple,ucdavis} ! umt ! marsh
US Mail :	Paul Marsh,	University of Montana, Computer Center