rdump on DEC/SUN UNIX Systems

Peter J. Bishop pjb at tcom.stc.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 06:02:49 AEST 1989

At this site we have 2 Sun S/320 and 3 DEC Microvax Q5's.

On one of the Suns and one of the DECs we have 6250 bpi tape drives. For this
reason our main backups are performed using 'rdump'. Unfortunately this seems to
run DEADLY SLOW. This makes our backups last approx 35 hours. As you can guess,
this is impractical.

My questions are,

	a) Does anyone know why rdump is so slow (the machines are connected
	   by ethernet.

	b) How can I speed it up or,

	c) Are there any alternatives.

Thanks in advance of your assistance, (and sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup
to send this to).

--
Cheers,
Peter Bishop.  <pjb at tcom.stc.co.uk> || ...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pjb