Bug in subroutine putpwent(Ultrix 3.0)

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Wed Jul 26 19:03:50 AEST 1989

In article <2292 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> >The "official" version seems to be drifting towards the notion that uid's
> >and gid's are really supposed to be unsigned short's, however that's unlikely
> >work directly on systems using the sun derived kludge.
>
> Actually, I expect that to be the case in SunOS 4.1 as well (i.e., that
> UIDs and GIDs will be unsigned), with "nobody" becoming 65534 or
> somesuch; if this makes it into a new NFSSRC distribution, presumably
> DEC will pick it up at some point.

Hopefully, though in the Ultrix header files, they end up resolving to
plain "short" with a note about posix compliance in <sys/types.h>...

> >> putpwent.c	4.1	(ULTRIX)	11/23/87
> >
> >Note that none of the system software actually uses putpwent, it's apparently
> >the creation of some Sun completist.
>
> Given that it says ULTRIX there, I don't see how you can conclude it's
> "apparently the creation of some Sun completist".  In fact, it's the
> creation of some AT&T completist; it came from System V, and presumably
> both SunOS and Ultrix picked it up from there (I know SunOS did).

Probably quite true, especially since the AT&T SVr3 version of putpwent has
the questionable :%u:%u: (even though they have them as int's in pwd.h).  I
guess I assumed this was part of the NFS baggage, without thinking about
System V compatibility or Posix.  Silly me, sorry.  BTW, just about all
the Ultrix SCCS id's, now say Ultrix whether the original code is from
BSD, SMI or AT&T...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net