Bug in subroutine putpwent(Ultrix 3.0)

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Jul 26 10:45:53 AEST 1989

>The "official" version seems to be drifting towards the notion that uid's
>and gid's are really supposed to be unsigned short's, however that's unlikely
>work directly on systems using the sun derived kludge.

Actually, I expect that to be the case in SunOS 4.1 as well (i.e., that
UIDs and GIDs will be unsigned), with "nobody" becoming 65534 or
somesuch; if this makes it into a new NFSSRC distribution, presumably
DEC will pick it up at some point.

>> This version seems to be:
>> putpwent.c	4.1	(ULTRIX)	11/23/87
>
>Note that none of the system software actually uses putpwent, it's apparently
>the creation of some Sun completist.

Given that it says ULTRIX there, I don't see how you can conclude it's
"apparently the creation of some Sun completist".  In fact, it's the
creation of some AT&T completist; it came from System V, and presumably
both SunOS and Ultrix picked it up from there (I know SunOS did).