VERY Dangerous Hole ...

Wietse Venema wswietse at eutrc3.UUCP
Tue Mar 7 03:49:22 AEST 1989

|----------------------------------------------------------------------
|Steve Loudermilk			Internet:  slouder at note.nsf.gov
|Integrated Microcomputer Systems Inc.	Phonenet:  (202) 357-9648

The problem is real and has been found on several BSD-like UNIX
versions (Ultrix, Alliant, Sun). It occurs when the finger field of a
passwd file entry becomes longer than the internal buffers used by
programs such as chsh(1).
--
uucp:	wswietse at eutrc3.UUCP	| Eindhoven University of Technology
bitnet:	wswietse at heithe5.BITNET	| Dept. of Mathematics and Computing Science