How to write an Ultrix device driver

Brian Sturgill brian at ms.uky.edu
Fri Mar 31 08:06:28 AEST 1989

In article <6423 at cbmvax.UUCP>, grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> In article <88434 at felix.UUCP> mbr at aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) writes:
> >
> > I need to write a device driver to work with Ultrix.
> > We are a binary only site.
> >

> Ultrix device drivers (as of 2.2) seem to still be basically 4.2 BSD
> drivers. ...

There is one major difference that I know of, here is a message that
was sent to me when I had similar troubles.  I know that the message
is correct as we put some of our own drivers in here.
Alas, I don't remember the source of this information to give proper
credit.

* I am told that you will need to remove the "register br, cvec"
* lines from configuration probe routines for these drivers and
* the ones in contrib/ to work under Ultrix 2.0.

The purpose of removing "register br, cvec" is that they are now global
  variables (probably improves efficiency).

Brian
           Brian Sturgill          System Manager
   University of Kentucky Departments of Mathematical Sciences
        brian at ms.uky.edu                brian at ms.uky.csnet
        {uunet,rutgers}!ukma!brian       brian at UKMA.BITNET