Decnet, VMS <==> Ultrix connection questions

Anthony A. Datri aad at stpstn.UUCP
Wed Mar 29 14:26:54 AEST 1989

>>1.	Does Decnet provide an rlogin type facility from VMS to Ultrix.

>On Ultrix, the 'dlogin' command from the DECnet/Ultrix kit lets you login
>to the VMS machine.

DECnet for both VMS and Ultrix costs extra.  VMS also continues to believe
that all terminal are made by DEC.

>>2.	If the printers are located on the VMS machine can the Ultrix spooler
>>	be told this?  Without the end user knowing where the printer is
>>	physically connected?

>If the printers are really physically connected to the VMS machine, it's
>a little tricky.  If they're on a LAT (Local Area Terminal) server, then it's
>easy, since the VMS and Ultrix machines can share access to the printers.

But nothing else can, since DEC doesn't seem to think much of this upstart
TCP/IP stuff that nobody uses.  LAT stuff is only for DECnet, and as I
remember, it also costs extra.  I favor the use of TCP/IP under VMS as an
alternative.  It integrates the VMS machine into a multi-vendor, multi-os
environment a whole lot better, and the CMU flavor is also cheap and does BSD
lpr/lpd for remote printing.  Other vendors also supply TCP/IP for VMS.

Granted, the DECnet/Internet gateway stuff for DECnet/Ultrix helps, but it's
still a royal pain.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)