Decnet, VMS <==> Ultrix connection questions

Win Treese treese at crltrx.crl.dec.com
Sat Mar 25 15:18:18 AEST 1989

In article <88339 at felix.UUCP> hogue at hsi.UUCP (Jim Hogue) writes:

>1.	Does Decnet provide an rlogin type facility from VMS to Ultrix.
>	Is there any problem with terminal handling (say curses or something
>	similar)?  Does VMS catch some characters, sequences or signals
>	that could cause problems?

Yes, it provides the facility; execute SET HOST <node-name> on VMS.
Terminal handling generally works, although there are occasionally glitches.
As I recall, VMS to Ultrix works somewhat better than the other way around.
On Ultrix, the 'dlogin' command from the DECnet/Ultrix kit lets you login
to the VMS machine.

>2.	If the printers are located on the VMS machine can the Ultrix spooler
>	be told this?  Without the end user knowing where the printer is
>	physically connected?

If the printers are really physically connected to the VMS machine, it's
a little tricky.  If they're on a LAT (Local Area Terminal) server, then it's
easy, since the VMS and Ultrix machines can share access to the printers.

If they're physically connected, one can write a "print filter" that takes
the files, copies them to VMS using 'dcp' and then copies a DCL command file
that prints the file.  Ugly, but it works.  (Note: there's a small security
opening associated with this, if you're worried about such things).

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese at crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.