Decnet, VMS <==> Ultrix connection questions

Jim Hogue hogue at hsi.UUCP
Wed Mar 22 05:04:40 AEST 1989

We have a potential client that has a VAX running VMS.  Our software runs
under Ultrix.  They want to use Decnet to connect the two systems.  The
idea is to use all the peripherals (primarily terminals and printers)
that are currently on the VMS system, with the Ultrix system.  So my questions
are.  Note that I am knowledgeable on Ultrix (read BSD) and have no knowledge
(or none that I would admit to) of VMS.

1.	Does Decnet provide an rlogin type facility from VMS to Ultrix.
	Is there any problem with terminal handling (say curses or something
	similar)?  Does VMS catch some characters, sequences or signals
	that could cause problems?

2.	If the printers are located on the VMS machine can the Ultrix spooler
	be told this?  Without the end user knowing where the printer is
	physically connected?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

	Jim Hogue
	Health Systems International New Haven, CT (203) 562-2101
		hogue at hsi.com   or   {noao, uunet, yale}!hsi!hogue