Decnet, VMS <==> Ultrix connection questions

Ray Curci scri curci at stat.uucp
Sun Mar 26 11:53:34 AEST 1989

>In article <115 at crltrx.crl.dec.com> treese at crl.dec.com.UUCP (Win Treese) writes:
>>In article <88339 at felix.UUCP> hogue at hsi.UUCP (Jim Hogue) writes:
>>>
>>Yes, it provides the facility; execute SET HOST <node-name> on VMS.
>>
>>If the printers are really physically connected to the VMS machine, it's
>>a little tricky.
>>
>>Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
>>treese at crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-
The above solution will work with interactive terminal logins, but only
with DEC equipment.  Also, the suggestion of using DCP to copy files
to be printed and a DCL command file to send the data to the printer is
very kludgy at best.  I have implemented a daemon that runs on our VMS
machines to look in a special world writable directory every few
minutes queueing files to the printers if any are found.

A much cleaner solution is to buy SRI MULTINET (contact: postmaster at tgv.com)
for your VMS systems.  With MULTINET, you can use RLOGIN and TELNET from
any machine to reach any other machine (Ultrix comes with rlogin and telnet).
The BSD-style remote printer software that comes with ultrix will talk to
MULTINET's lpd-server to access any of the VMS printers.

This solution also has the advantage that UNIX machines from other vendors
(SUN, HP, Apollo, NeXT, IRIS, ...) can be integrated very smoothly in the
future into the network.  Another advantage is that you can also connect
inexpensive IBM PC/XT/AT/PS2s and MACs with ethernet boards to provide
low-end workstations using the public domain software from NCSA and/or MIT
which gives you the ability to do terminal logins onto any machines
and very fast file transfer capability.

ray curci