Fsck fails

Marco Zelada marco at ll-xn.UUCP
Wed Mar 22 04:38:14 AEST 1989

	We just had a disk crash last night on one of our VAX II/GPX
machines. The autoreboot preocedure failled and it asked me to run fsck
manually, which I did and got the following:

	buvlsi5.root % fsck -y -P /dev/rra1h

	/dev/rra1h:	CANNOT READ: BLK 16
	/dev/rra1h:	UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY

	buvlsi5.root % fsck -y -P /dev/rra1h

	** /dev/rra1h

	CANNOT READ: BLK 16
	CONTINUE? yes

	buvlsi5.root % fsck -y -b 32 /dev/rra1h

	** /dev/rra1h

	CANNOT READ: BLK 32
	CONTINUE? yes

	buvlsi5.root % icehck /dev/rra1h

	/dev/rra1h:
	/dev/rra1h: I/O error
	bad super block

	buvlsi5.root % icehck -s dev/rra1h

	/dev/rra1h: I/O error
	bad super block

	buvlsi5.root % dcehck /dev/rra1h

	/dev/rra1h:
	read error 16

	/dev/rra1h: not a file system

	At this point I have very little else to do but to put a new
file system on and try to recover from tape. I would rather try anything
else if possible.

	Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated.

--
Name:	Marco Zelada			Phone:	617 353 9882
Dept:	Electrical & Computer Eng.	E-mail:	marco at buengc.bu.edu
Org:	College of Engineering		R-mail:	44 Cummington St. Room 236
	Boston University			Boston MA, 02215