How to write an Ultrix device driver

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Wed Mar 29 12:24:41 AEST 1989

In article <88434 at felix.UUCP> mbr at aoa.UUCP (Mark Rosenthal) writes:

> I need to write a device driver to work with Ultrix.
> We are a binary only site.
>
> Other computer vendors (notably Sun and Masscomp) publish manuals with
> instructions on how to write device drivers to work with their version
> of Unix.  Perhaps DEC does also, but I have been unable to find such a
> thing.  Neither our salesperson nor the Ultrix support line has been any
> help.

Ultrix device drivers (as of 2.2) seem to still be basically 4.2 BSD
drivers.  The Sun manuals are pretty good tutorials, but I think they
include some extra stuff that is Sun specific that may be more confusing
than useful.  There may be some sample drivers available in the sources
groups or elsewhere, but unfortunatly the 4.3 sources that have been
release so far do not include and driver code.  Best bet would be to
find somebody with some 4.2/4.3 kernel experience to get you started...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net