DECstation 3100

Eric Fielding eric at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 22 04:36:48 AEST 1989

I am not sure whether to post this on the Ultrix or VMS newsgroup, so I hope
you will excuse my posting to both.
We are considering the purchase of a DECstation 3100 to add a fast Ultrix
machine to our facility. The question is how well we will be able to make use
of our existing Local Area VAXcluster of VMS workstations and file servers.
We hear that the VMS/Ultrix Connection allows a VMS machine to serve Ultrix
machines via NFS. Is this a reality or a plan? Does it make sense to buy a
diskless or nearly diskless DECstation 3100 to run off a VAXstation 3200
file server? While I am asking questions, how much memory is reasonable for
an Ultrix machine? Our VAXstation 3200 with 8 MB is noticeably lacking in
memory. Finally what are people's feelings about the DS 3100? Is this the
wave of the future or another DEC misstep like the DEC Pro or Rainbow?
				++Eric Fielding
eric at geology.tn.cornell.edu   (I'll summarize if there is interest)