mail11v3

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.dec.com
Thu Mar 30 23:46:54 AEST 1989

Well, I strongly disagree with your statement that the sendmail.cf file
with 3.0 is garbage.  Not because I am a "Digit" but because I
run/manage/beat/cuddle a 3-way network mail gateway (UUCP/Internet/EasyNet).
Did I use the sendmail.cf file as shipped?  No, I did have to change it.
Somethings in the sendmail.cf file are done in ways *I* could not do them.
But the commenting in this file is so extensive that I believe it to be a pretty
good guide for changing this file.  In addition, there are 3 other example
config files in /usr/src/usr.lib/sendmail/cf (in the binary distribution).  I'd be
interested in hearing from you -- perhaps by e-mail -- what differences you found
in the sendmail with 3.0 that needed to be documented.  (The H flag used by the
mail11 program is one that I know about and that fact that mail11 didn't want the
user names on thge command line anymore.  *I* wish that was documented too!)

Aside from that, your comments and suggestions on how sendmail should look, what works,
what doesn't, etc. in your environment -- in as much details as you can give -- would
be very beneficial to ULTRIX Engineering.  Please send in an SPR on it or at least
spell it out via e-mail or in this news group.

Finally, I'd be happy to send you the sendmail.cf that Decuac uses.  You can see the
changes I made to the standard sendmail.cf.

DISCLAIMER:  You know this but... I am not speaking officially, only as a user of
ULTRIX.  I don't work for ULTRIX Engineering.  I don't engineer Sendmail, I merely
wrestle with it and sometimes teach about it.