mail11v3

Bruce Barnett barnett at crdgw1.crd.ge.com
Thu Mar 30 03:18:30 AEST 1989

In article <4899 at hubcap.clemson.edu>, hubcap at hubcap (Mike Marshall) writes:
>I believe I have determined that you can't use /usr/bin/mail11v3 without
>using DEC's sendmail.

Therer are some special flags that are undocumented that DEC
has added. Look closely at the options to the TCP mailers
and the headers.

>To make matters worse, DEC has absolutely broken the mail11-daemon that
>is part of DECnet/ULTRIX... it used to deliver DECnet/Internet addresses
>to the DECnet/Internet host looking like     gateway::user at place
>             now the addresses look like     gateway::"user at place"
>Try getting sendmail to parse a quoted string! ---------+

I tried to add the double quote character to the operator list, and Ultrix
sendmail didn't even look at it. If I could have quotes, I could modify
sendmail.cf to fix it myself. I think we are using the old version of mail11.

The sendmail file we got with 3.0 was garbage. I had to trash 90% of it.

Sun provides 2 or 3 sendmail.cf files. AT least they understand that
not all systems are the same. Dec tried to put every option in one file,
and it is really too much. I also don't know why they didn't
convert an address like
	abc::address
into something close to RFC822, i.e. <@abc.decnet>:address

Also, if you have an error like
	R$+	$@$2
you don't get the error until you execute the ruleset. SunOS sendmail
reports the error when it starts up. My test suite didn't note this
because the error was going to stdout, and I didn't see the error
when I installed it.

Did anyone get any documentation with the 3.0 sendmail? There are a lot
of differences, which I had to figure out by reverse engineering.

I am not impressed.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett at crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett at steinmetz.ge.com>