Ultrix and power failures......

Jeff Blomberg jeff at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
Tue Mar 7 03:33:35 AEST 1989

When we purchased our 8650 a couple of years ago, I recall that it had,
by default, a battery backup system included.  Over these years we have
had many a power glitch and the 8650 (now running Ultrix 2.2) goes belly-up
and reboots itself.  Should we expect that the system be able to ride
through minor glitches?  We have other computers here with standard battery
backups installed which ride through power failures quite nicely - the OS
keeps running, but users still get dropped due to modems dropping momentarily,
but are able to get right back in to recover their sessions.

Can anyone else share their experiences in this area?  Are we expecting too
much without having to invest $$$ in UPS gear.

-Jeff Blomberg (jeff at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu / jeff at uhccux.bitnet)
University of Hawaii Computing Center (808) 948-7351