Tty driver problems on the 3100?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon Nov 13 08:18:04 AEST 1989

In article <19477 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> faustus at yew.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
> I'm not sure if this problem has been discussed already.  I've noticed
> strange behavior in two places -- /usr/new/csh seems to transmit random
> garbage characters when I use file completion (it sometimes clears the
> screen on my xterm), and Emacs occasionally loses characters and beeps
> at me.  I wonder if it could be a problem with the TIOCSTI call (I'm
> not sure if Emacs uses a pty or not under X, though).  Any ideas?

I've seen this problem but haven't really dug into it.  It seems that tcsh's
idea of resetting tty modes isn't 100% in conguence with all the various
Ultrix compatibility features and kludges.  Anyhow, you end up with different
modes set and Ultrix decides to echo the escape, leading to subsequent
characters being interpreted as escape sequences - not always healthy.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net