Restricting what goes to a printer...

Michael van Elst p554mve at mpirbn.UUCP
Fri Nov 17 06:21:23 AEST 1989

In article <61 at ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU> rainwatr at ucunix.SAN.UC.EDU (Don Rainwater) writes:

>	We're having problems with people printing non-text files to our
>printers.
I'm not very familiar with ultrix (I read this group because we got
some DECstations). Nevertheless, it is generally possible to install a
textfilter for automatic printing of dvi-files or to do accounting.
This textfilter will get all characters printed and may filter out
any non-printables.

>	Also, is there a way that I can eliminate the printing of the
>flag page?  I tried sb=true, but that didn't work.
Try sh=true, it will suppress the printing of the (so-called) burst-page.

>	In general, is there something I have to do to make a change to
>printcap effective besides making the change to printcap?
In our implementation (SunOS), you have to kill the lineprinter daemon
(/usr/lib/lpd) and restart it again.

Michael van Elst

E-Mail: ..uunet!unido!fauern!immd!mlelstv
        ..uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve