Ultrix on uVax I

Ross Parker parker at zaphod.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Nov 17 05:27:36 AEST 1989

Parker) writes:

> 	[ Lot of comments and speculation about the MicroVAX I
> 	  being SUPPORTED on which version of ULTRIX. ]
>
> 	I have in front of me the Software Product Description
> 	for ULTRIX-32 Operating System, Version 2.0 SPD 26.40.07.
>
> 	The only place the MicroVAX I is mentioned is on page
> 	19 where the key to media types for the user upgrades
> 	are listed:
>
> 		H3 =  MicroVAX I, 8200/8250, 8300/8350, 8550,
> 		      8700/8800.
>
> 	Since it isn't listed in the tables of supported devices,
> 	it must not be supported by that version.  It may still
> 	work, but we no longer support it.  You might even be able
> 	to bring up the DECnet-Internet Gateway software on it,
> 	but we can't guarantee that it will work.

To flog an already *very* dead horse, I looked around after seeing this
to see if I could find where I'd gotten the idea that 2.0 was the last
release.

Sure enough, I found the Ultrix 2.0 release notes (#AA-BG57D-TE).
Looking at page 1-3 (summary of features), it states:

        ULTRIX-32 Version 2.0 is the last release that supports the
        MicroVAX I configuration.  In the next release of ULTRIX-32, the
        kernel and device driver for this processor will be moved to the
        unsupported software subset.

I hope we can put this subject to rest... I realize that I made the majority
of postings on this subject (apologies for 'wasting' bandwidth...), but I
was pretty certain I was correct. I should have looked for the release notes
earlier... however, please don't slam someone for 'speculating' when
you yourself are doing the same thing.

One possibility though (you DEC guys out there might know this) - are there
any differences in releases for Canada versus US releases?

Ross Parker      				| Why do they put me down?
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| Make out that I'm a clown?
Burnaby, B.C.,	     				| I drink scotch whisky all
Canada, eh?	     uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker	|	 day long
(604)293-5495	     parker at mpre.mpr.ca		| Yeah I'm gonna save my money
Disclaimer:					| (gonna put it all away...)
My fingers are doing all the work...		| 'Cause I'm a Scotsman