Ultrix on uVax I

Ross Parker parker at zaphod.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Nov 16 05:23:27 AEST 1989

In article <8570 at cbmvax.UUCP>,  grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <1887 at eric.mpr.ca> parker at zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
>> In article <475 at shodha.dec.com>, alan at shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for
>> Wayward Notes File.) writes:
>> >	The last version of ULTRIX to support the MicroVAX I
>> >	was the ULTRIX-32m V1.2.  We are now at V3.1.
>> Nope.... you lose. I would have hoped that someone from DEC would have
>> gotten this one right!!! :-)
>
>Come on, cut the guy a break!

George,

If you'll take a look in the 'Frequently Asked Questions' posting, you'll
find:

      5.  What does :-) mean?

           This is the net convention for a "smiley face".  It means that
           something is being said in jest.  If it doesn't look like a smiley
           face to you, flop your head over to the left and look again.

I was, indeed, making the statement 'in jest'. I apologize if it was taken
in the wrong light. No offence was meant.

>The last Ultrix-32m SPD I can find is for
>Ultrix-32 1.2A, and the Ultrix 2.0 SPD doesn't say anything about either
>the MicroVAX I or II.  I'm not sure exactly which 2.x release officially
>introduced support for the Microvax II into the mainstream release...

Support for the Microvax II was introduced waaaaaay back with (I think)
Ultrix 1.1 (or earlier?). We definately had some Microvax IIs running
that release. I thought I remembered seeing in the Ultrix 2.0 SPD that
it was the last official release that supported the Microvax I. In any
case, I *do* remember upgrading our Microvax I to the latest supported
release, and it's now running 2.0, so unless someone went behind my back
and fiddled with it (not terribly likely!) or unless I read something
wrong (much more likely, but I think I'm still right), release 2.0 is
what Todd wants.

Someone did mention that they were running a later release (2.2?), though
unsupported. I imagine that this would work fine. We couldn't do that with
ours, due to disk limitations (anyone remember the RD52!).

Ross Parker      				| Why do they put me down?
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| Make out that I'm a clown?
Burnaby, B.C.,	     				| I drink scotch whisky all
Canada, eh?	     uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker	|	 day long
(604)293-5495	     parker at mpre.mpr.ca		| Yeah I'm gonna save my money
Disclaimer:					| (gonna put it all away...)
My fingers are doing all the work...		| 'Cause I'm a Scotsman