compile times...

Mike Marshall hubcap at hubcap.clemson.edu
Mon Oct 9 23:55:48 AEST 1989

Hi -

A prof here is running benchmarks on everything that isn't tied down.

He told me that his benchmark program ran on my DECstation 3100 as fast as
it did on an IBM 3081 mainframe. But, he said, it took forever to compile.

It compiles on our VAX-8810 running ULTRIX in about 20-30 seconds. On my
workstation, it took about 8 minutes to compile.

I am assuming that the reason that it takes so long on on my workstation
can be attributed to the fact that RISC compilers have so much more work
to do than "regular" compilers.

Does my evaluation seem on the mark to you all, or is there probably more
to it?

-Mike      hubcap at clemson.edu