Resource Utilization Query

Mark Sausville saus at media-lab.media.mit.edu
Mon Oct 9 00:33:08 AEST 1989

Hardware: VAX 6320
OS:       Ultrix 3.1

How do I find out how my system is doing in regard to the utilization
of physical memory in the machine?  vmstat has the following output:

 procs     memory                       page      disk  faults          cpu
 r b w   avm  fre  re at  pi  po  fr  de  sr r1 r2 r3 r4  in  sy  cs us sy id
 1 0 0   36k 184k   0  1   1   0   0   0   0  0  0  0  0  20 100  18 11  4 85

The memory fields seem to be fairly consistent around the values shown even
when the load is high.

This machine has 128 MB of main memory and has ~160 MB ow swap configured.
Pstat -s shows:

158361k swap configured
	33471k used (2175k text, 0k smem)
	124888k free, 6999k wasted, 2k missing

My guess would have been that the maximum amount of memory which can get
allocated is 128M (phys. mem) + 160M (swap) less kernel space.  Is this right?

I have never seen the avm field anywhere close to 128k.  Why does the
system swap/page when there seems to be lots of free physical memory?

I suspect I'm showing a good deal of ignorance here, but it's true, I am
ignorant.  I'm new to both VAX architecture and Unix/Ultrix guts.  I'm willing
to rtfm, but would prefer a brief elucidation, with references. The man pages
for vmstat and pstat are more than a little cryptic to me.

And another thing: I suspect I'm not getting much out of the second
processor.  Has this been thrown around before?  A while back, when
troubleshooting we turned off the 2nd cpu and didn't notice much of a
hit.  Any pointers to understanding how the 2nd proc gets allocated
tasks and how effective it is?

			Ignorance is NOT bliss,
						Mark.

Mark Sausville                           MIT Media Laboratory
Computer Systems Administrator           Room E15-354
617-253-0325                             20 Ames Street
saus at media-lab.media.mit.edu             Cambridge, MA 02139