Previewing PostScript files, or dvi files.

Ravindran Ramachandran rr at csunb.cs.uh.edu
Sun Oct 1 04:46:38 AEST 1989

In article <8955 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> riley at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) writes:
>In article <11984 at polya.Stanford.EDU> max at Neon.Stanford.EDU (Max Hailperin) writes:
>>This isn't a bug, it's a documented feature.  There's even a documented
>>way to override it, namely the "Use Fake Trays"  item in the Options menu.
>
>I wrote a reply that said essentially the same thing, but, just before
>sending it off, I fired up dxpsview and tested it out.  I couldn't get
>it to work.  With "Use Fake Trays" enabled, I could not get dxpsview to
>accept any sort of tray command.  So, maybe this is a bug?

I got a couple of replies to my original message that mentioned to use
the "Fake Trays" option. I tried all combinations of this, but it does
not work. So the solutions are,

(1) DVI Previewers:
    (a) xdvi -- you should be able to anonymously ftp it from
                expo.lcs.mit.edu or prep.ai.mit.edu. I still
                haven't looked at it.

    (b) texx2: By Dirk Grunwald. Available in labrea.stanford.edu, in
               /pub. The only problem with it is that it uses `imake'
               and `ximake', which according to the author is a standard
               with X11 software - but DEC does not provide this.

(2) Using PostScript Previewer (dxpsview):
    Convert dvi file to ps using:
    (a) dvips: Available in labrea.stanford.edu. Have not tried it.

    (b) dvi2ps: Modify the tex.ps file that dvi2ps uses to include
                in the header, adding in the following lines anywhere
                after the `TeXDict begin':

% Define command letter if undefined  -Ravi.
/letter where {  %ifelse
	pop
    }{  %else
	/letter {} def
    } ifelse
% End of definition to be included.

  Well, that takes care of that. I think I had previously mentioned
to some to check for these software on score.stanford.edu; I would
like to restate that as to check in labrea.stanford.edu, in /pub
and /pub/tex. Bear with me, I have another posting in the wings
about some oddities of the FORTRAN compiler for the MIPS machines.

   --Ravi-

 Internet : rr at cs.uh.edu                  |          System Administrator
          : ramachandran at uh.edu           |          TCSUH, 617 SR1
 CSNET    : rr at houston.edu                |          University of Houston