Previewing PostScript files, or dvi files.

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu
Mon Oct 2 02:35:59 AEST 1989

Someone mentioned that DECwindows doesn't come with Imake.  X11R3
comes with `imake' and `ximake' - DECwindows doesn't. This is annoying
because the X consortium put lots of effort in requiring Imakefiles
for contributed X11R3 applications, and all X11R4 applications are
required to have Imakefiles. But, since I'm using a PMAX now....

If you'd like a set of binaries for texx2 on the pmax, I've placed two tar
files on boulder.colorado.edu in pub/TeX.

	texx2-pmax-binaries.tar.Z
		- binaries for texx2, mftobdf and the application
		  defaults file (called Texx2).

		- texx2 looks at the TEXFONTS path for .tfm files,
		  or in /usr/local/lib/tex82/fonts by default.

		- The application defaults file should go in
		  /usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults/Texx2 (I'm using
		  the MIT toolkit release, because of minor hassles
		  with DECwindows).

		- mftobdf will look for the fontdesc file in
		  /usr/local/lib/tex82/fontdesc, but you can change location
		  that using the TEXFONTDESC environment variable

	texx2-pmax-fonts.tar
		- A 1.3Mb collection of X11 fonts. I stripped the fonts from
		  my lfonts.tex and magnified each entry by 1000 and 1440,
		  so there's a very consistent and usable set of fonts.

This version of texx2 differs in minor ways from previous releases,
and if you haven't fooled with the Texx2.ad application defaults file,
you won't notice much of a change. I've made many more functions
accessible via action procedures, in the (vein) hope of being able to
add a simple menu interface using action procedures. This won't happen
until X11R4, it appears, because I haven't found a good menu package.

If anyone wants source, I can post this new version somewhere; otherwise,
I'll be waiting for X11R4 to pop out.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu)