Problem with DECnet mailer -- long To: lines

Keith Moore moore at betelgeuse.cs.utk.edu
Sun Oct 15 04:53:35 AEST 1989

In article <886 at gumby.cc.wmich.edu> peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Leonard J. Peirce) writes:
>Some people here receive mail that have rather long To: lines, either
>from individuals or small mailing lists.  The mail comes into our Ultrix
>gateway (3.0) which then attempts to send it over DECnet to our VAXcluster.
>
>The problem is that the long To: lines make the DECnet mailer barf.
>The message I get is
>
>   Deferred: Lost connection to remote node while confirming delivery
>
>When I edit the qf file and shorten the To: line, it delivers just fine.

The problem may be that the To: line in MAIL-11 is written as a single record
over DECNet, and is therefore can be no longer than 512 bytes.  The mail11v3
program should (but perhaps is not) truncating To: lines longer than this.
Keith Moore			Internet: moore at cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore at utkvx
107 Ayres Hall, UT Campus	UT Decnet: utkcs::moore
Knoxville Tennessee 37996-1301	Telephone: +1 615 974 0822