Problem with DECnet mailer -- long To: lines

Leonard J. Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Thu Oct 12 23:50:06 AEST 1989

Some people here receive mail that have rather long To: lines, either
from individuals or small mailing lists.  The mail comes into our Ultrix
gateway (3.0) which then attempts to send it over DECnet to our VAXcluster.

The problem is that the long To: lines make the DECnet mailer barf.
The message I get is

   Deferred: Lost connection to remote node while confirming delivery

When I edit the qf file and shorten the To: line, it delivers just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone have a fix?  Or perhaps this a
problem on the VMS side (maybe I should post to comp.os.vms).
------
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008

This is STILL the Al Franken Decade.....