Problem with DECnet mailer -- long To: lines

Leonard J. Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Thu Oct 19 23:09:20 AEST 1989

>The problem may be that the To: line in MAIL-11 is written as a single record
>over DECNet, and is therefore can be no longer than 512 bytes.  The mail11v3
>program should (but perhaps is not) truncating To: lines longer than this.

I was informed by someone at DEC that this is a known problem with the mail
software on VMS.  Apparently, when an Ultrix mailer is talking to a VMS mailer,
the VMS side identifies itself as being an Ultrix mailer and therefore thinks
the long To: lines are ok.  The VMS side gets it and barfs.  Sigh....

I'm going to file an SPR on this as soon as I get five minutes.
-----
Leonard J. Peirce               Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469

This is STILL the Al Franken Decade.....