xcons murders the X server

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu
Tue Oct 3 15:22:48 AEST 1989

In article <1880 at bacchus.dec.com> klee at gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:

   Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
   Date: 2 Oct 89 22:41:22 GMT
   Sender: news at decwrl.dec.com

   In article <4327 at buengc.BU.EDU>, bph at buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
   > A few hours after starting up the xcons (by putting the proper line
   > in /etc/ttys and doing kill -HUP 1), the console-display's X server
   > (Xqdsg) locks up.

   Note that the xcons and xterm -L stuff will be removed from X11R4 by
   MIT.  At best, it's kind of flakey.  Try using xdm or dxsession
   instead.

   Ken Lee
   DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
   Internet: klee at decwrl.dec.com
   uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee
----

How does XDM solve the problem? It doesn't initiate a console-like
window, it only prompts for passwords & starts your .xsession.

dxsession, on the other hand, *does* capture console output; but w/o
source, there's no way to see how this is done. Right now, I use
all X11R3 tools except for dxsession, precisely because dxsession captures
all console output. Kind of stiff cost, though.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu)