xcons murders the X server (suggested solution)

Richard Ohnemus rick at ssbell.UUCP
Tue Oct 3 23:00:23 AEST 1989

In article <12315 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu writes:
>In article <1880 at bacchus.dec.com> klee at gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
>   In article <4327 at buengc.BU.EDU>, bph at buengc.BU.EDU (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
<<< text from xcons discussion deleted >>>

>How does XDM solve the problem? It doesn't initiate a console-like
>window, it only prompts for passwords & starts your .xsession.
>
>dxsession, on the other hand, *does* capture console output; but w/o
>source, there's no way to see how this is done. Right now, I use
>all X11R3 tools except for dxsession, precisely because dxsession captures
>all console output. Kind of stiff cost, though.
>
>Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu)

You can capture all of the console output by opening /dev/xcons and
reading from it. I have modified xdm to do this (console output can be
ignored or sent to a log file (probably should go to another window on
the screen)).

I have also written another client that opens a small window and
displays the console output. This client is started by xdm when a logon
is successful. The client runs the session file instead of xdm so you
get the added advantage that stdout and stderr are also displayed in the
window instead of going into the bit bucket.

I can send this code to any one that wants it. If I get enough requests
I'll just post it to alt.sources.

--
I never receive credit for anything I write! (I'm an Ohnemus. 8-)

Rick Ohnemus                 UUCP:     rick at ssbell
Sterling Software FSG/IMD    INTERNET: rick at ssbell.uu.net
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South     Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969     FAX:      (402) 291-4362