Domain names & /etc/exports

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu
Sat Oct 21 03:35:09 AEST 1989

This problem has arisen twice now, so I want to get the staight poop.

According to some RFC, domain names are supposedly case insensitive.

however, we were trying to export /usr/local at foobar to /usr/local at soma.
the local domain is specified as Colorado.EDU.

We could only export the name when we used:

/usr/local soma.Colorado.EDU

According to the documentation, and and RFC, any of the following should work.

/usr/local soma.Colorado.EDU
/usr/local soma.colorado.edu
/usr/local sOmA.cOlOrAdO.EdU
/usr/local soma

Is this an ultrix resolver library bug or mountd_nfs bug? This same
problem occured when exporting a file system to an Encore Multimax
running their port of 4.3. I wonder if this isn't a 4.3 problem as
well?

But there are two issues as well: why doesn't ``soma'' work by itself?

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu)