"max N" clause on "pseudo-device pty" in config file

Mark Rosenthal mbr at aoa.UUCP
Fri Oct 6 07:52:24 AEST 1989

In article <952 at aoa.UUCP>, I asked how to configure a kernel for additional
ptys.  I mistakenly interpreted (italic)"max n" in the manual as if it were
(bold)"max" (italic) "n", which led me to include "max" as a keyword in
the pseudo-device line in the config file.  Thanks for the responses.  I've
got it working now.

In article <439 at shodha.dec.com> alan at shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
>	It sounds like the documentation is being unclear about
>	what you're supposed to do.  The part about the default
>	being 16 also seems to be a bit of a mystery to me.  Check
>	the file pty.h in your kernel build directory and see
>	how many it says.  For the configuration file for my VAX
>	8800 it said 64, but a test configuration file gave 1.

I can explain this mystery.  The file /sys/data/tty_pty_data.c contains the
following code:

	#if NPTY == 1
	#undef	NPTY
	#define	NPTY	32		/* crude XXX */
	#endif

The documentation clearly should say that the default is 32, not 16.

Thanks to all who responded.
--
	Mark of the Valley of Roses
	...!bbn.com!aoa!mbr