Domain names & /etc/exports

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu
Tue Oct 31 11:28:25 AEST 1989

In article <16145 at netnews.upenn.edu> litwack at dccs.upenn.edu (Mark Litwack) writes:

   > It's a mountd misfeature.  What happens is this:
   >
   >	- mounted receives a request from a.b.c.d (address)
   >	- it looks up the address to get the name
   >	- it matches the string it gets back against the names
   >		in the exports file

   Not quite.  The name that is matched is the name that the requesting
   machine sends the server.  It's strange to do the security check this
   way because a requesting machine could lie about its name.

   You have to start /etc/mountd with the -i option to make it verify
   the IP address as described above (which is not the DEC default).

   -mark

---

not only is it not supported, but on an DECstation 3100 with Ultrix 3.1,
we get...

# /etc/mountd -i
# ps -augx | grep mountd
root     28387  0.0  0.3   40   32 p0 S     0:00 grep mountd
# /etc/mountd
# !ps
ps -augx | grep mountd
root     28389  0.0  1.3  192  156 p0 S     0:00 /etc/mountd
root     28391  0.0  0.3   40   32 p0 S     0:00 grep mountd
#

i.e. /etc/mountd doesn't appear to work.

and yes, I'd file an SPR, but I *still* don't know how to do this
electroniclly (or at all, actually).