Domain names & /etc/exports

Win Treese treese at crltrx.crl.dec.com
Tue Oct 24 01:07:02 AEST 1989

In article <13019 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu writes:

>This problem has arisen twice now, so I want to get the staight poop.
>
>According to some RFC, domain names are supposedly case insensitive.
>
>however, we were trying to export /usr/local at foobar to /usr/local at soma.
>the local domain is specified as Colorado.EDU.
>
>We could only export the name when we used:
>
>/usr/local soma.Colorado.EDU

It's a mountd misfeature.  What happens is this:

	- mounted receives a request from a.b.c.d (address)
	- it looks up the address to get the name
	- it matches the string it gets back against the names
		in the exports file

It should do case-insensitive comparisons, but it doesn't.  It would
be appreciated if you file an SPR on it.

Note that programs that use .rhosts typically have the same problem.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese at crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.