xdvi for DECstation?

John T Kohl jtkohl at quicksilver.mit.edu
Thu Oct 26 05:24:31 AEST 1989

In article <1223 at eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> rcpt at eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) writes:

>I am desperately looking for a good TeX-previewer for a DECstation 3100.

The xdvi we have here at MIT Project Athena, from comp.sources.x, Volume
3, issues 37-39 and 46, plus other patches (from expo.lcs.mit.edu?
geneaology here is fuzzy), up to PATCHLEVEL 3, works fine for me on my
DECstation 3100.  Patchlevel 5 (in fully-applied form) is available by
anonymous FTP from expo.lcs.mit.edu, /contrib/xdvi.shar.Z.

>DECwindows does not supports libXmu.a

Sounds like you are still running Ultrix 3.0/UWS 2.0.  Talk to your
sales rep and get an upgrade to Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1.  It includes full
X11R3-level code (bugs and all!).

>	- the output looks terrible, the mapping of TeX-pkfonts to the
>	  DECwindow server seems wrong,

The output looks a bit screwy (extra/missing bits), but for my purposes
(usually layout examination) it is just fine.  With no sampling (i.e.
size 1) it looks fine.  This is all with PK fonts for write-white engines.

The keyboard input works fine for me under the Motif Window manager; are
you setting the focus properly (select the window)?
--
John Kohl <jtkohl at ATHENA.MIT.EDU> or <jtkohl at Kolvir.Brookline.MA.US>
Digital Equipment Corporation/Project Athena