xdvi for DECstation?

Piet Tutelaers rcpt at eutrc4.urc.tue.nl
Thu Oct 26 02:41:35 AEST 1989

I am desperately looking for a good TeX-previewer for a DECstation 3100.
I have tried to compile xdvi and after some troubles, I have managed to
get a running xdvi. (The problems I had to overwin were: DECwindows does
not support Viewport.h and Simple.h in their /usr/include/X11. If I use
instead /usr/include/mit/X11 the compilation succeeds. DECwindows does not
supports libXmu.a, the library needed by xdvi. I have made this from the
standard X11 version 3 release.) This xdvi has several problems:
	- the output looks terrible, the mapping of TeX-pkfonts to the
	  DECwindow server seems wrong,
	- the xdvi window does not react on keyboard commands (for example
	  `n'  for next-page), only ^C.
If we run the same xdvi on a X11 display terminal (NCD) and we use the default
X11 window manager `uwm', the output is correct and the keyboard is seen.

Does anyone has succesfully ported xdvi to DECstations?

(If xdvi misses a font the program gets aborted! This is a very unwanted
feature!)