xdvi for DECstation?

Daniel S. Riley riley at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Thu Oct 26 11:13:03 AEST 1989

In article <1223 at eutrc3.urc.tue.nl> rcpt at eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) writes:
>DECwindows does not
>supports libXmu.a, the library needed by xdvi. I have made this from the
>standard X11 version 3 release.)

libXmu.a is include in Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1.  At least, I think that's where
it came from...

>	- the output looks terrible, the mapping of TeX-pkfonts to the
>	  DECwindow server seems wrong,

I had this problem the first time I linked xdvi with the DEC supplied
libraries.  The solution was to not define MSBITFIRST, and define BMLONG.
For some reason I didn't have this problem when I linked xdvi with the
MIT libraries (compiled from the X11R3 distribution), and ran it under
UWS 2.0 with uwm.

>	- the xdvi window does not react on keyboard commands (for example
>	  `n'  for next-page), only ^C.

As several people have pointed out, xdvi needs to set XtNinput.  Since the
xdvi Xt code is stolen from xterm, I stole a little more.  The following
patch will get xdvi to accept keyboard input under dxwm.  I'm not enough of
an Xt expert to know if this is the right way to do it--I rather suspect that
it isn't--but anything else would have required much more extensive
revisions, as far as I could tell.  Anyway, with these changes I have an
xdvi that works with dxwm.

*** xdvi.c.old	Mon Oct 16 12:15:39 1989
--- xdvi.c	Mon Oct 16 13:00:53 1989
***************
*** 1656,1661 ****
--- 1656,1662 ----
  	{XtNwidth,	(XtArgVal) 0},
  	{XtNheight,	(XtArgVal) 0},
  	{XtNiconPixmap,	(XtArgVal) 0},
+ 	{XtNinput,	(XtArgVal) True},
  };

  #else	TOOLKIT
***************
*** 2010,2016 ****
  	temp_args3[2].value = (XtArgVal) (XCreateBitmapFromData(DISP,
  				RootWindowOfScreen(SCRN),
  				xdvi_bits, xdvi_width, xdvi_height));
! 	XtSetValues(top_level, temp_args3, 3);

  	vport_widget = XtCreateManagedWidget("vport", viewportWidgetClass,
  		top_level, vport_args, XtNumber(vport_args));
--- 2011,2017 ----
  	temp_args3[2].value = (XtArgVal) (XCreateBitmapFromData(DISP,
  				RootWindowOfScreen(SCRN),
  				xdvi_bits, xdvi_width, xdvi_height));
! 	XtSetValues(top_level, temp_args3, 4);

  	vport_widget = XtCreateManagedWidget("vport", viewportWidgetClass,
  		top_level, vport_args, XtNumber(vport_args));

-Dan Riley (riley at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.