DecWindows (and how to get around them)??

Mark Hastings hastings at walnut
Sun Oct 1 03:54:44 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep30.143118.15880 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu () writes:
>Ok folks, I am tired of the barrage of console messages scribbling
>all over my screen.  I am not going to run decwindows, no way, no how.
>Xcons won't work (as mentioned here many times before, it messes up
>the color server).  Heck, dxterm is 4 times the size of xterm.  I only
>have a little 9meg VsII/GPX, what does dec want?

I run "DecWindows", but certainly not dxterm or dxwm.  Check out *all*
your options by reading up on the dxsession features (such as how to
override dxterm/dxwm - check out sm.windowManagerName/terminalEmulatorName).
The only part of DecWindows I use is dxsession, which takes care of the
console and other minor duties.

Now for two questions about dxsession behavior:
1.	Why does dxsession *always* maintain a 500K or greater resident-set-
	size? (this is on a DECstation 3100 with UWS 3.1)  Shouldn't it
	get paged out when inactive?
2.	Why do the normal console startup messages (such as /etc/motd) not
	appear in the Messages window until you do something that causes
	dxsession to print out a message (such as starting up a new
	terminal from a menu)?

--Mark Hastings				(415) 642-4611
  hastings at ernie.berkeley.edu		..!ucbvax!ernie!hastings