DecWindows (and how to get around them)??

garyf at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu garyf at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 1 00:31:18 AEST 1989

Ok folks, I am tired of the barrage of console messages scribbling
all over my screen.  I am not going to run decwindows, no way, no how.
Xcons won't work (as mentioned here many times before, it messes up
the color server).  Heck, dxterm is 4 times the size of xterm.  I only
have a little 9meg VsII/GPX, what does dec want?

All I really want to do is prevent the messages from clobbering my root
window all the time, and perhaps actually see them (sometimes they
could be important).  Is everyone else out there in ultrix land
merely accepting this problem?? Or, (worse yet IMHO) is everyone
bowing down and swallowing the garbage dec is feeding us about
having to run decwindows to solve the problem?  After all, xcons
WAS on the supported UWS2.0 tape!

I would GREATLY appreciate some constructive help in solving this
problem.  If ANYONE knows how it can be done (heck, SUN kept
TIOCCONS in /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h, why couldn't dec do it?),
PLEASE let me know.

One other question:  how do those folks who run strict MIT server/
clients solve this problem?  I thought I heard xdm metioned a while
back, but after looking at it I became unconvinced that it solved
the problem.

Any clues??

Thanks for any and all help (and for letting me take a small pot
shot at dec).

And as always, this is MERELY my opinion, not that of anyone I am
associated with.

--
Gary Faulkner
National Center for Supercomputing Applications - University of Illinois
Internet: garyf at mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.