Why doesn't Ultrix support have any tapes

kaiser at cheese.enet.dec.com kaiser at cheese.enet.dec.com
Fri Oct 13 22:25:43 AEST 1989

In article <2508 at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, chris at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) writes...

> ... three choices...:
> 1. they would send me the patch on a TK-50 (doesn't fit in my 8530).
> 2. they would sent it to our local DEC rep, who would get it converted over to
>    a 9-track tape (how long would that take?)
> 3. I could send them a tape to put the patch on (I choose this).  This isn't
>    a problem it terms of cost - just seems kinda stupid to me - I have had
>    no problem getting VMS patches sent to me on tape from DEC - even IBM
>    will send patches on our choice of media....

I'd go for (2) every time, on the principle that it's better to have someone
nearby to nag.  "Converting" (actually just copying) a tape is easy; it can even
be done on (gasp) VMS systems.  Of course it's silly for (whomever) not to have
on hand all the media needed to get kits out to the paying customers, but it
doesn't look like policy to me -- maybe just the situation right then.

Do you have your tape?

---Pete

kaiser at cheese.enet.dec.com
DEC, 2 Mt. Royal Ave. (UPO1-3), Marlboro MA 01752-9108
508-480-4345 (machine: 617-641-3450)