Why doesn't Ultrix support have any tapes

Chris Peck chris at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
Fri Oct 13 01:43:21 AEST 1989

The Subject line says it all - I've had a problem with my system hanging
for the last 2 months - when ultrix support figured out the problem and
notified me I was given three choices on getting the patch for it:
1. they would send me the patch on a TK-50 (doesn't fit in my 8530).
2. they would sent it to our local DEC rep, who would get it converted over to
   a 9-track tape (how long would that take?)
3. I could send them a tape to put the patch on (I choose this).  This isn't
   a problem it terms of cost - just seems kinda stupid to me - I have had
   no problem getting VMS patches sent to me on tape from DEC - even IBM
   will send patches on our choice of media....

Whats the story here???  Is there anything that I/we can do to fix this problem
or are we the only site who runs Ultrix on a machine without a TK-50 drive?
I wish I was going to DECUS this fall (I'm holding till New Orleans) so I
could nag the folks responsible for this "interesting" policy....
-chris
--
chris at bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu    Chris Peck
chris at bingvaxa.bitnet		    SUNY Binghamton, NY