Maxtor 760M drives in Ultrix

Rod Stephens krs0 at GTE.COM
Fri Oct 13 20:57:21 AEST 1989

In article <2529 at dogie.macc.wisc.edu> edwards at dogie.macc.wisc.edu (mark edwards) writes:

>I was told the largest hard drive that Ultrix could handle was DEC's
>RX55 (a 300M +) drive. Is it possible to use something larger, say
>Maxtor's 760M drives?

I talked to a Trimarchi sales guy recently. They advertise a 300+MB disk
for around $3,400, a 600+MB disk for around $4,000, a 1.2GB disk for $6,500,
and a 2.4GB disk for $???. However, he said that Ultrix 3.1 and lower
would only use a ~100MB disk or a ~300MB disk as a boot device. Apparently
it checks the number of cylinders and all that hardware stuff. He said
after that the other disks worked fine. In fact, they sell a combo called
the DataStation 1000 which includes a 300+MB disk (to boot from) and a
600+MB disk in one package.

			Rod Stephens
			GTE Laboratories, Inc