I need urgent help for mail11d(v3)

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Mon Sep 11 07:19:58 AEST 1989

In article <541 at arco.uucp> mf at arco.na.cnr.it writes:

>For about four months I breaked my head with the following problem:
>
>	I have an Ultrix system (MicroVAX II) with DECnet-Ultrix
>	connected to VMS system, on whose run the CSNET PMDF.
>	To correctly manage the RFC 822 domain addressing I need to
>	send to VMS system adresses like that
>
>		in%"user at domain"
>
>	This addresses scheme run o.k. on VMS machines, but when I try
>	that from the Ultrix-DECnet I, and also the italian and european
>	DEC support stuff, have verified that the DECnet mailer daemon
>	unexpectedly convert the address.
[...]
Actually, the address conversion is being done by sendmail.  Sendmail sees
an address of the form <token> % <token>, and converts the % to an @.
This is done to support the '%' routing convention.

>	I suspect that the DEC people has hard coded in the mail11dv3 some
>	address management. It is that correct ? And if affirmative why
>	this choice, considered that it is the sendmail job to manage
>	the address conversion ?

Sendmail and its configuration files are designed to understand RFC822-
style addresses.  Even though it tries to be forgiving when given something
that's not quite syntactically correct, an address like in%"user at domain"
is just too far from normal to be parsed by the same routines that have
to handle RFC822 addresses.

>Any suggestion is well accepted.

Well, I wrote my own version of the mail11 daemon.  My version translates
addresses of the form
protocol%"quoted-string"
"protocol%\"quoted-string\""@sending-host
Even if this is ugly, it is correct, and can be handled by sendmail.
(Almost -- sendmail insists on stripping the quotes from envelope
addresses when forwarding the message to other systems.)  Anyway,
using my gateway, I have managed to reply to addresses of this type.

And since I my gateway comes with source, it's easy to wire in support
for things like IN%"user at domain", and change it to simply user at domain.
(Though you need to make sure that your PMDF setup understands exactly
the same set of domains that your sendmail does.)

Anyway, you can get the source via anonymous ftp to cs.utk.edu
(128.169.201.1), directory readonly/mail11, files mail11.tar
and mail11d.tar.  mail11.tar is a rewrite of the sendmail->mail11
gateway that handles error conditions better than mail11v3.
mail11d.tar is the rewritten mail11 daemon.

If you don't have ftp access and want the programs anyway, send mail and
I'll send you .shar files.

Keith Moore			Internet: moore at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
University of Tenn. CS Dept.	BITNET: moore at utkvx
107 Ayres Hall, UT Campus	UT Decnet: utkcs2::moore
Knoxville Tennessee 37996-1301	Telephone: +1 615 974 0822