I need urgent help for mail11d(v3)

Stephen Dowdy sdowdy at ariel.unm.edu
Sun Sep 10 12:08:01 AEST 1989

In article <2730 at decuac.DEC.COM> avolio at decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
>This is -- I am pretty sure -- being done by the sendmail.cf file.  Look
>for rules in /etc/sendmail.cf such as
>
>R$-%$+		$:$1<@$2>
>
>or something.  Sendmail is seeing
>
>	singletoken%singleothertoken
>
>because anything in quotes is taken as one thing.  Ususally sendmail says
>to replace a right-most % with a @.  This is what is happening.
>
>Fred

I just wanted to make a statement about mail11.  I'm usually not one to rag
on DEC for software support,etc... But if you're going to make claims about
unix/vms connectivity PLEASE OH PLEASE at least tell me how to use mail11.

There is no mention ANYWHERE on what arguments it takes, or even that it
exists, other than the MAILER line in the standard sendmail cfg file.

I am not sure about mail11v3, but the older version DID munge "%"
I had to strings it and "patch" it to stop doing this. (to pass "jnet%"
addresses unaltered (it screwed with other things as well))

I think the philosophy behind it was to support both DECnet and Internet
style addresses (trying to be too smart for its own britches), but in doing
so, dropped out full functionality.
I believe mail11 is now mail11v3 and mail11v3d (broken up) so perhaps this
is not a problem anymore?

Anyway, i'm pulling this off the top of my head right now, since it has
been a while since i looked at it, and was starting to help the "unixoids"
with some MAIL11 problems on V3, but gave up after not finding any
documentation.

I would really appreciate it if DEC could just include a quick blurb
SOMEWHERE (decnet {un}supported manual, release notes, man page)
on the use of mail11.

Thank you very much.

--stephen