I need urgent help for mail11d(v3)

Mario Furnari mf at arco
Fri Sep 8 23:58:20 AEST 1989

For about four months I breaked my head with the following problem:

	I have an Ultrix system (MicroVAX II) with DECnet-Ultrix
	connected to VMS system, on whose run the CSNET PMDF.
	To correctly manage the RFC 822 domain addressing I need to
	send to VMS system adresses like that

		in%"user at domain"

	This addresses scheme run o.k. on VMS machines, but when I try
	that from the Ultrix-DECnet I, and also the italian and european
	DEC support stuff, have verified that the DECnet mailer daemon
	unexpectedly convert the address.

	After many failed trials the european DEC support has obliged me
	to upgrade at the Ultrix version 3.1.

	Also this last trial has been without success.

	Here is the script of "mail -v" to verify the uncorrect mail11dv3
	address management.

	It is possibeleto see the bad traslation of the "in%" into "in@".
	That is not correct!!!!!!!

	I suspect that the DEC people has hard coded in the mail11dv3 some
	address management. It is that correct ? And if affirmative why
	this choice, considered that it is the sendmail job to manage
	the address conversion ?

Any suggestion is well accepted.

Script started on Mon Sep  4 15:15:51 1989
arco% mail -v
Mail version 2.18 5/19/83.  Type ? for help.
"/usr/spool/mail/mf": 11 messages 2 new 9 unread
& m cnuce::in%"furnari at icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it"
Subject: Prova Mail11dv3
~f10
Interpolating: 10
(continue)
.
cnuce::in%"furnari at icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it"... Connecting to cnuce.Dmail...
220 Mail-11_V3.0 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail-11 Mailer
>>> HELO arco.na.cnr.it
250 Mail-11_V3.0 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail-11 Mailer
>>> MULT
250 Ok, will give multiple status for DATA.
>>> HEAD
354 Ok, give me a sneak peak at the message
>>> .
210-Passthru capsar message MAIL_MESSAGE
250 Thanks, come again!
>>> MAIL From:<arco::mf>
250 Connected to node cnuce
>>> RCPT To:<in@"furnari at icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it">
553-IN@"FURNARI at ICNUCEVX.CNUCE.CNR.IT"; %MAIL-E-USERSPEC, invalid user specification '@"FURNARI at ICNUCEVX.CNUCE.CNR.IT"'
553
cnuce::in%"furnari at icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it"... User unknown
>>> QUIT
250 DECnet-ULTRIX Mail11 exiting.  Come Again.
Saving message in /usr/users/mf/dead.letter
/usr/users/mf/dead.letter... Sent
& q
Saved 1 message in mbox
Held 10 messages in /usr/spool/mail/mf
arco%
script done on Mon Sep  4 15:17:14 1989

Furthermore, there are some errors inthe DECnet Doc which remain on
version change although these erorrs has been signalled to the italian
and European DEC support. One of that is:

	Guide to the DECnet-Internet Gateway Order Number AA-JQ71B-TE
	pag. 5-2

	To turn on Gateway file transfer services, delete the pound sign
	(#) in front the line containing /etc/ftpd, and add a # in front
	of the line containing /etc/ftpd.gw. ...

	To turn on Gateway remote login services, delete the pound sign
	(#) in front the line containing /etc/telnetd, and add a # in front
	of the line containing /etc/telnetd.gw. ...

This clearly false.

					Mario Furnari
					mf at arco.na.cnr.it
					Istituto di Cibernetica