Loss of memory

Mark Hastings hastings at walnut
Fri Sep 8 04:57:34 AEST 1989

In article <16787 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> I wrote:
>I am having a problem with Ultrix 3.1 on some new DecStation 3100s.
>These machines have 24MB of RAM, and the hardware tests seem to find
>and test all of it.  But when vmunix starts up, it can only "see" 16MB
>of it.  The generic kernel also fails to see this memory.

It turns out that we had a hardware problem with some of the SIMMs.
I could have determined this right away if I had just known about the
"t ?" command from the console monitor.  Try it.  It is much different
from the "test" command -- much more in-depth and informative.

Unfortunately, the power-on memory diagnostics are not as rigorous,
since they didn't catch the problem.  I hope this saves other people
from banging their heads needlessly.

--Mark